The 22-year-old behind the deadly bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester was linked to a wider network and had returned from Libya just days before launching his attack, officials say.
Police named Salman Abedi, a British-born national of Libyan descent, as the bomber in the attack on Manchester Arena, which killed at least 22 people, including children, on Monday night. Abedi died in what appears to have been a suicide bombing.
“It is very clear that this is a network we are investigating,” Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said Wednesday following a series of raids and arrests.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd earlier told the BBC that Abedi was on the radar of intelligence services.
Abedi was in Libya for three weeks and returned just days before his attack, US military officials assigned to the Africa Command told CNN. They said that information had been shared between US and British intelligence services, but cautioned that a full intelligence analysis was underway to put those details in context.
In Libya, a brother of Abedi — identified as 20-year-old Hashim Ramadan Abu Qassem al-Abedi — was arrested Tuesday night on suspicion of links to ISIS, according to a statement from a Tripoli militia working for the Interior Ministry.
The younger Abedi was allegedly planning a terror attack in Libya at the time of his arrest, said the statement from the Special Deterrence Force militia. He was picked up while allegedly receiving a money transfer from Salman Abedi.
CNN has not been able to independently verify the details posted on the militia’s website and has sought comment from the Special Deterrence Force, as well as British authorities.