Five writers – including three Nigerians – have been shortlisted for the annual Caine Prize award given to an African writer.
The stories must be published in English and be between 3,000 and 10,000 words.
The nominees are:
• Lesley Nneka Arimah (Nigeria) for Who Will Greet You At Home
• Chikodili Emelumadu (Nigeria) for Bush Baby
• Bushra al-Fadil (Sudan) for The Story of the Girl whose Birds Flew Away
• Arinze Ifeakandu (Nigeria) for God’s Children Are Little Broken Things
• Magogodi Makhene (South Africa) for The Virus
Nii Ayikwei Parkes, the chairperson of the judging panel, said:
The winner will be announced on 3 July and awarded $12,000 (£10,000).