A hero mom saved her baby from a venom-spitting cobra — taking the serpent’s deadly toxin in her own eyes so her tot’s peepers would be spared, according to a report on Thursday.
The unnamed mom had just finished breast feeding her 1-month-old and placed the baby on the couch of her home in Colenso, South Africa on Wednesday, according to Ladysmith Gazette.
That’s when she noticed a nearly 40-inch long Mozambique spitting cobra – one of the most dangerous snakes in Africa — on the couch and slithering dangerously close to her baby.
She scooping her infant up and out of the sneaky snake’s path, the mom, who’s in her early 20s, screamed for help.
So she scooped up her baby, and shielded the child from the ready-to-attack snake — which spit its venom into her eyes instead, the paper reported.
The woman was stabilized and transported to the hospital. Her condition wasn’t clear.
Family members caught and killed the scaly intruder.
The dark-colored Mozambique spitting cobra, commonly found in Africa, can shoot their potent, and potentially lethal, poison up to eight feet away, and usually aim for the eyes.
Left untreated, the venom can cause blindness and, and in worst cases, death.
South Africa and Snakes, Australia and Snakes!
I hate snakes!