The US embassy in Abuja has issued a statement saying it wishes “to clarify that there is no reason for Nigerians with valid visas to postpone or cancel their travel to the United States”.
It comes after Nigeria on Monday advised its citizens against non-urgent travel to the US after several Nigerians with valid visas were denied entry.
The US statement goes on:
Nigeria is not named in the Executive Order on Immigration issued on March 6, and there is no prohibition against Nigerian lawful permanent residents or persons with a valid visa or other US government authorisation from entering the United States.”
Abike Dabiri-Erewa, a special adviser to the Nigerian president on foreign affairs, had said on Monday that in the past few weeks there had been cases of Nigerians with valid multiple-entry US visas being denied entry and sent back immediately on the next available flight with their visas cancelled.
She said the US immigration authorities had given no reason for these actions.