Australian spider bite boy saved by massive anti-venom dose

A 10-year-old Australian boy has survived being bitten by one of the world’s most poisonous spiders after being treated with 12 vials of anti-venom, reports say.

It is thought to be one of the largest doses of anti-venom ever administered in Australia.

Matthew Mitchell was bitten on his finger by a funnel-web spider while helping his father clear out a shed.

He suffered multiple seizures, dilated eyes and began frothing at the mouth.

“It sort of clawed onto me and all the legs and everything crawled around my finger and I couldn’t get it off,” he told Friday’s Australian Daily Telegraph.

Matthew’s family used his shirt as a tourniquet to curtail the spread of the venom as he was rushed to hospital.

The dose of anti-venom is believed to be three larger more than any other survivor in living memory, the Telegraph said.

The spider has been captured and taken to the Australian Reptile Park near Sydney, where it is now being used in a venom-milking programme.

The park’s general manager Tim Faulkner said Matthew was “as lucky as they get”.

February and March are the peak breeding season for many funnel-web species with males – five times more venous than their female counterparts – being particularly aggressive.

 

BBC

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s