A 10-year-old Australian boy has survived being bitten by one of the world’s most poisonous spiders after being treated with 12 vials of anti-venom, reports say.
It is thought to be one of the largest doses of anti-venom ever administered in Australia.
Matthew Mitchell was bitten on his finger by a funnel-web spider while helping his father clear out a shed.
He suffered multiple seizures, dilated eyes and began frothing at the mouth.
“It sort of clawed onto me and all the legs and everything crawled around my finger and I couldn’t get it off,” he told Friday’s Australian Daily Telegraph.
Matthew’s family used his shirt as a tourniquet to curtail the spread of the venom as he was rushed to hospital.
The dose of anti-venom is believed to be three larger more than any other survivor in living memory, the Telegraph said.
The spider has been captured and taken to the Australian Reptile Park near Sydney, where it is now being used in a venom-milking programme.
The park’s general manager Tim Faulkner said Matthew was “as lucky as they get”.
February and March are the peak breeding season for many funnel-web species with males – five times more venous than their female counterparts – being particularly aggressive.